Pass/Fail Option

The following is information about the pass/fail (ungraded) option.

The pass/fail (ungraded) option may be used by students pursuing undergraduate programs in all Faculties except for those enrolled in the following degree programs:

  • BEd degrees,
  • JD degrees, and
  • BBA and iBBA degrees.

The Pass/Fail option is convenient for taking courses without impacting your grade point average. However, before opting for a pass/fail grade, carefully consider the following:

  • grades are used by organizations outside the University to evaluate students;
  • admission to graduate programs and to professional schools of all types depends upon letter grades;
  • a grade of “P” for any course during your last 60 credits or for any upper-level courses may impact the evaluation of your transcript for graduate school admissions;
  • many medical schools will not consider ungraded courses as part of a full-time load which may disqualify you for admission.

If you plan on pursuing further higher education, please check the admission requirements prior to opting to complete a course on an ungraded basis.

Please read the page carefully and confirm your eligibility to complete a course on an ungraded basis before submitting your request.

Who is eligible for the Pass/Fail Option?

You can request the Pass/Fail Option if you meet the following conditions:

  • you are in good academic standing AND
  • have completed a minimum of 24 credits towards an undergraduate degree (this includes credits awarded as transfer credit).

If you are a newly admitted student who has not yet completed 24 credits, you may submit a request for the Pass/Fail option for up to 3 credits.

What courses qualify for the Pass/Fail Option?

You may elect to take up to 12 credits on the Pass/Fail grading option.

The Pass/Fail grading option cannot be chosen for the following:

  • courses which satisfy major or minor requirements (including for-credit practica not already on a pass/fail grading scheme)
  • required courses outside the major;
  • courses taken to satisfy Certificate requirements;
  • required 1000-level science courses for students in the Faculty of Health, Faculty of Science and the Lassonde School of Engineering;

It is the responsibility of students to be informed of and meet their degree program requirements.

Any courses covered by the Transfer Credit Guidelines must comply with the Guidelines and, consequently, must be taken on a graded basis, except in cases where the host institution employs a pass/fail or other assessment scheme.

Calculation of Averages and Credits

Courses taken on an ungraded basis are recorded as either pass "P" or fail "F". They do not have grade point values so they cannot be calculated into an average. Pass credits are added into the total number of credits earned and credits taken. Fail credits are added into the total number of credits failed and credits taken.

Grade Reports and Transcripts

The ungraded option will appear as either “P” or “F” on both grade reports and transcripts.

When and how can I submit my request?

You can submit your request to the Registrar’s Office before the last day to drop a course without receiving a grade. Make sure you review the Important Dates page and your degree program requirements prior to submitting a request for the Pass/Fail Option.

To apply for the Pass/Fail Option (Graded to Ungraded), fill out and submit the application below.

Can I revert to taking the course on a grade basis?

Yes, you can. Students who elect to complete a course on a Pass/Fail basis may request to revert to taking the course on a graded basis up until the last date of classes corresponding to the term of the course. Check the Important Dates before you submit your request.

Note: if you have applied for the Pass/Fail option for a Fall/Winter 2019-2020 course and your grade was changed to a ‘P’, you may use this form should you wish to change back to graded notification.

To apply for the change from the Pass/Fail Option to Graded Notification, fill-out and submit the form below.

Graduate Students: please review the policy regarding Enrolling in an Undergraduate Course available on the Enrolment page.